Mississippi Has Different Divorce Requirements

In most states, it's relatively easy to get a divorce. You simply need to claim "irreconcilable differences" and have your spouse served with papers. In Mississippi, however, the process is more difficult. You can only end a marriage due to irreconcilable differences if both spouses agree prior to filing. If spouse is opposed to the divorce, the other is forced to go to court and prove fault grounds to the judge.

What does this mean for you? Essentially, it means that if you want to save the time, money and stress of appearing before a judge and proving your case, it makes sense to come to an agreement ahead of time.

Let Robbins Law Firm help you understand your options and choose the route that is best for you. From our headquarters in Tupelo, family law attorney John Robbins represents men and women in all types of divorces, from contested to uncontested. He also works one-on-one with clients, so you can count on the personal service you deserve.

Obtaining Fair Financial Support After Divorce

When you and your spouse were together, it probably made your financial situation much easier. Now, you're dealing with two separate households and all the bills that come along with that. For this reason, it is critical that you obtain fair spousal support (alimony) payments and child support payments. In the most severe situations, this money may mean the difference between putting food on the table or going without.

If you are the primary wage-earner, it's also important that you don't pay more than is appropriate. Turn to Robbins Law Firm for skilled assistance in any type of support-related matter.

Dividing Marital Property And Assets

We can also assist you with property division and debt division during divorce. We frequently represent couples who need to divide:

  • Houses, cars and other tangible assets
  • IRAs, 401(k)s, pensions and other retirement accounts
  • Mortgages, student loans and other types of debt

Learn more about how our law firm can help. Call us at 662-269-4537 for a free consultation or send us an email today. Our lawyer personally returns all messages.